A six-week interactive course
Cohorts begin May 25, 2022 Fee: Free
Whether you are new to Quality Improvement (QI) work or a project team, or simply need a refresher course, the IPRO HQIC Quality Improvement 101 Course is for you!
Participants will receive FREE high-value education, hands-on engagement and coaching on how to drive progress and achieve goals for a quality project.
What you will learn
IPRO HQIC is offering a highly interactive six-week basic QI course that provides participants the opportunity to engage in collaborative learning and apply skills to their everyday work and/or projects. Centered on the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) model, the course will explore various process improvement methods and tools that can be applied to multiple areas of healthcare: clinical, non-clinical, infection prevention, OR, ED, employee and customer/patient satisfaction.
Course Objectives and Expectations
The course is designed to help you:
- Engage in a project-based and hands-on learning and coaching experience
- Describe quality and process improvement methods
- Select and use key QI tools applicable to project scope and/or problem being addressed
- Learn how to collect, analyze and use data for improvement
- Achieve results by applying learnings and skills to a project at your organization
- Present a project deliverable to your leadership team upon completion of the course
To receive maximum benefit from participation, you are expected to:
- Attend classes, complete assignments and meet with your Improvement Advisor during the scheduled coaching hours
- Obtain a signed commitment letter from your organization leadership allowing participant(s) the necessary time to engage in course activities and complete assignments. Click here for sample Commitment Letter
Six-week Course Overview
There are three on-line classes and three coaching sessions, held on Wednesdays on bi-weekly intervals:
- Classes are held 3 – 5 p.m. ET
- Coaching Sessions are held 3 – 4 p.m. ET
The course will be offered four times during 2022. Click here to see a schedule of course cohort offering dates.
Topics, Times, Objectives
Week 1 (5/25): Plan, 3–5pm, ET: Effective teams, resistance to change, communication planning, feedback mechanisms, discovering the root cause. Register here for Week 1.
Week 2 (6/1): Coaching, 3–4 pm, ET Coaching based on Week-1 topics
Week 3 (6/8): Do, 3–5pm, ET: “Waste walk,” customer and business voice, standard work and training, test of change, rapid-cycle improvement, 5S, visual management, toolkit review, document problems. Register here for Week 3.
Week 4 (6/15): Coaching, 3–4pm, ET Coaching based on Week-3 topics
Week 5 (6/22): Study and Act, 3–5pm, ET: Analyze results, compare to predictions or standard work, summarize effects of change, modify the plan. Register here for Week 5.
Week 6 (6/29): Coaching and Wrap-up, 3–4pm, ET: Coaching based on Week 5 topics, Course Wrap-up
- Computer access to Microsoft products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required; Visio software is helpful but not necessary
- Recommended, but not required, Texts/Resources
- Oster, C. A. & Braaten, J. S. (2016). High Reliability Organizations, Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Patterson, K., Grenny, J., Maxfield, D., & Sitzler, A. (2013). Crucial Accountability, Tools for Resolving Violated Expectations, Broken Commitments and Bad Behavior