The IPRO QIN-QIO held a live demonstration of using NHSN to submit and track COVID-19 vaccine data. At the end of this demonstration, participants will:
- Learn how to submit COVID-19 vaccine data for staff and residents.
- Understand the steps to successfully submit data.
A clarification to our viewing audience who attended the “Live Demo Entering COVID-19 Vaccine Data into NHSN” webinar
We want to make a clarification that caused some confusion to those who attended the live broadcast on May 6, 2021.
Nursing homes are being asked to report data based on week-long data collection periods. These data collection periods have been pre-determined by the CDC and run from Monday-Sunday. When entering data into the system, you should select the data collection period that you are entering data for. Since the data collection period is a full week, you will be entering data after the data collection period has ended.
For example: if I enter my NHSN data on Tuesdays, then on Tuesday May 25th I would go into NHSN, click on 05/17/21-05/23/21 and enter the data for that data collection period.
The COVID-19 vaccination modules use the data collection period to determine what population of residents and health care personnel should be included in the data reported.
- Residents that were in the facility for one or more days during the data collection period are part of the resident population (including residents that are no longer in your facility)
- Health care personnel that were eligible to have worked one or more days during the data collection period are part of the health care personnel population (including those who were on vacation during the data collection period)
The COVID-19 vaccination modules do not use the data collection period to determine which events should be included.
- For example: A resident that was vaccinated for COVID-19 in December who was in your facility for one or more days during the 05/17/21-05/23/21 data collection period then they would be included as vaccinated in that data report for that data collection period, even though they were vaccinated before the data collection period. (The same applies for health care personnel.)
The COVID-19 vaccination modules do not differentiate between vaccinations received in your facility and those received outside of your facility.
- For example: If a resident who was previously vaccinated at a local pharmacy was in your facility for one or more days during the 05/17/21-05/23/21 data collection period then they would be included as vaccinated in that data report for that data collection period. (The same applies for health care personnel.)
The COVID-19 vaccination modules ask you to continue reporting data for residents and health care personal that are in your facility/eligible to work in your facility for more than one day during multiple data collection weeks.
- For example: If a vaccinated resident is in your facility for one or more days during both the 05/17/21-05/23/21 data collection period and the 05/10/21-05/16/21 data collection week, they would be included in the “Number of residents staying in this facility for at least 1 day during the week of data collection” count and in the count of vaccinated residents for both data collections weeks (and any other past or future data collection weeks for which they are in your facility for one or more days). (The same applies for health care personnel.)
Training and Instructions:
Reporting Summary Forms:
Data Tracking Worksheets: These Excel documents allow facilities to enter the data using drop downs. They automatically populate the data entry form for NHSN. Facilities can share these documents during surveys as documentation of the vaccine program.