May 25: Delivering Whole Person Care: Improving Outcomes in Opioid Use Disorder Treatment

Only 20% of what influences the health of patients is related to the quality of the health care they receive. The other 80%—called the social determinants of health—is found in patients’ behaviors, socioeconomic conditions, and physical environment.

For patients and families with complex health issues, such as a substance use disorder, providing whole person care can build resiliency, and improve recovery and health outcomes.

This webinar will discuss:

  • Ways to deliver whole person care to improve recovery and outcomes for individuals with an opioid use disorder (OUD)
  • Role of social determinants of health (SDOH) in the opioid crisis
  • The “twindemic” of COVID-19 and OUD
  • Examples of addressing SDOH such as employment, food insecurity, housing insecurity, etc.

Our Speaker

Andrew  Kolodny's photo

Andrew Kolodny, MD
Senior Scientist and Medical Director, Opioid Policy Research Collaborative

Dr. Kolodny previously served as Chief Medical Officer for Phoenix House, a national non profit addiction treatment agency and Chair of Psychiatry at Maimonides Medical Center in New York City.

Dr. Kolodny has a long-standing interest in public health. He began his career working for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene in the Office of the Executive Deputy Commissioner. For New York City, he helped develop and implement multiple programs to improve the health of New Yorkers and save lives, including city-wide buprenorphine programs, naloxone overdose prevention programs and emergency room-based screening, brief intervention and referral to treatment (SBIRT) programs for drug and alcohol misuse.