All U.S. outpatient dialysis facilities should be prepared for the possible arrival of patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). All outpatient dialysis facilities should ensure their staff are trained, equipped, and capable of practices needed to:
- Prevent the spread of respiratory infections, including COVID-19, within the dialysis facility.
- Promptly identify and isolate patients with possible COVID-19 and inform the correct dialysis facility staff and public health authorities.
- Provide dialysis for a limited number of patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 as part of routine operations.
- Potentially provide dialysis for a larger number of COVID-19 patients in the context of an escalating outbreak.
- Monitor and manage any healthcare personnel that might be exposed to COVID-19.
- Communicate effectively within the dialysis facility and plan for appropriate external communication related to COVID-19