WHAT IS AN AFFINITY GROUP?
Affinity Groups highlight best practices, resources, and successful solutions to challenges. Opioid Stewardship Affinity Group attendees will:
- Discuss how to initiate/expand a hospital Opioid Stewardship program.
- Share best practices, resources, and successful solutions to challenges.
- Pose questions to subject matter experts (SMEs) who have implemented successful programs.
- Evaluate data and outcome measures.
DATES, TIMES, TOPICS AND SMEs
August 14, 2023
11 am – 12 pm EST (10 – 11 am CST)
Lisa Caswell, RPh
Director of Pharmacy
Redington-Fairview General Hospital
Cynthia Currier, BS Education, MHRT-C (Provisional)
Somerset Public Health (a department of Redington-Fairview General Hospital)
Redington-Fairview General Hospital, Maine
- Outline opioid prescribing practices at a rural hospital.
- Describe medication-assisted treatment options and options for addressing stigma.
- Describe the role of the patient navigator.
- Describe one harm reduction focus (Narcan distribution).
- Recognize the wider community involvement in addressing opiate misuse and stigma.
Mark Shen, PharmD., BCPS
Clinical Pharmacist: Transitions of Care
Co-Chair: Pain Management Committee
PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Program Coordinator NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island
NYU Langone Hospital, Long Island, New York
- Review baseline surgery-related opioid prescribing patterns after coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
- Discuss current best practices for post-surgical opioid prescribing.
- List interventions to decrease the number of opioid tablets provided on patient discharge.
- Describe the outcomes/successes of the intervention.