December 15, 12-1PM EDT
Please join Aligning for Health (AFH), Trust for America’s Health (TFAH), and a bipartisan panel of Congressional staff for a virtual briefing that will highlight opportunities in the 117th Congress to support effective and innovative approaches to social determinants of health.
Social Determinants of Health (SDOHs) are the social and economic conditions – such as those in housing, employment, food security, and education – that have a major influence on individual and community health. SDOHs are receiving increased attention from insurance companies, hospitals, healthcare systems, and governmental agencies interested in improving health outcomes and controlling costs.
Now more than ever, centering cross-sector, public health strategies and funding can build strong foundations for effective, long-term solutions to improve health and potentially drive down health care costs. Some recent legislation that cover some of these issues include the Social Determinants Accelerator Act of 2019 (H.R. 4004/ S. 2986) and the Improving Social Determinants of Health Act of 2020 (H.R. 6561/S. 4440).
- Kristin Flukey, Legislative Assistant, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA-05)
- Shane Hand, Legislative Assistant for Rep. Tom Cole, (R-OK-04)
- Joshua Izaak, Legislative Director, Rep. Nanette Barragán (D-CA-44)
- Kripa Sreepada, Health Policy Advisor, Sen. Tina Smith (D-MN)
- Liam Steadman, Legislative Assistant, Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-IL-17)
- Other speakers may be added later