- This event has passed.
CMS Updates the Nursing Home Requirements of Participation: What Pharmacists and Facilities Need to Know
September 21, 2022 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
In reaction to concerns for the most vulnerable, the White House expressed increased urgency to improve care provided to the nation’s nursing home residents.
In response, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has updated the Requirements of Participation (RoP) for facilities that participate in the Medicare program. Areas addressed include infection control, psychotropic medication use and mental health, and, of particular importance, changes to the Guidance to Surveyors, or Appendix PP. Attendance will provide 1 contact hour of ACPE accredited continuing pharmacist education.
- Identify the changes to the Requirements of Participation and in particular the revisions to Appendix PP, Guidance to Surveyors
- Describe the nuances in the provision of care for residents of skilled facilities as compared to community or other congregate settings, especially related to infection control, psychotropic medication use, and mental health
- Discuss the new emphasis surrounding the requirements provide care for those with substance use disorders, including opioid use disorder
- Outline strategies to mitigate risks associated with legal and illicit drugs and how to address drug storage, disposition, disposal, and drug overdoses in facilities
- Review changes to the requirements for review of psychotropics and gradual dose reductions and
- Describe the new refinements to the Infection preventionist requirements
- Robert C. Accetta, RPh, BCGP, FASCP
- Melanie Ronda, MSN, RN, Assistant Director, Infection Prevention Specialist, IPRO
- Terry Lubowski, Pharm D, Director, Drug Safety, IPRO
The Connecticut Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Pharmacists in attendance who complete an evaluation will receive 1 contact hour of CPE credit (0.1 CEU). Statements of credit will be uploaded to CPE monitor on the NABP website, where you can print your credits for your profile.