Six Weeks to Boost COVID-19 Vaccination Rates
The Biden Administration has launched a six-week campaign urging Americans to get their updated COVID-19 vaccine. Encouraging Americans to get their updated vaccine will help avoid thousands of preventable COVID-19 deaths, even as people gather together for the winter holidays.
What Role do You Play?
Nursing homes, hospitals, home health agencies, physician offices and others in the community play a vital role in educating staff, patients, residents and families about the importance of receiving the updated COVID-19 booster, as well as distributing booster shots. As a trusted medical resource, clinical staff provide up-to-date, credible information as well as access to vaccines.
The focus of the administration’s campaign is on seniors and communities most impacted by COVID-19. This puts nursing homes, hospitals and other providers at the epicenter of this initiative. This campaign activates the healthcare workforce to highlight the value of COVID-19 vaccinations and treatments for older Americans. Here are a few ways in which nursing homes, hospitals and community-based providers can participate:
- Educate your workforce, whom patients, residents and families know and trust, to use every interaction as an opportunity to make strong recommendations to get vaccinated against COVID-19;
- Educate your workforce to answer questions about COVID1-19 prevention and treatment options;
- Host on-site booster clinics
- Provide education to resident and family councils regarding COVID-19 boosters
- Assess vaccination status as part of admission and discharge process and document in the medical record
IPRO’s Quest for Quality Podcast
Episode 1: Conversation with Stacy Gugino, MD, Medical Director at Brothers of Mercy Skilled Nursing Facility and Garden Gate Skilled Nursing Facility, above vaccine acceptance by patients and staff.
Episode 1: Conversations with the CMS CMO – The Facts Behind the Updated COVID-19 Vaccine: Safety and Efficacy
Episode 2: Conversations with the CMS CMO – Long-term Care Treatment Options for COVID-19
Episode 3: Conversations with the CMS CMO – CDC Programs for COVID-19 Infection Prevention and Vaccination in Nursing Homes
- COVID-19 Bivalent Quality Improvement Action Plan
- COVID-19 Booster Power Point for Resident & Family Council Meetings
- COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Campaign
- COVID-19 Vaccine Flyer – basic information on vaccine safety and efficacy
- COVID-19: How to Protect Yourself and Stay Healthy
- Influenza, Pneumococcal and COVID-19 Immunization Toolkit
- Paxlovid Patient Eligibility Screening Checklist for Prescribers
- Vaccinations for Adults – an IPRO-developed PowerPoint for community providers to offer education on vaccinations in adults
- Value in Vaccination Video Series
- AMDA Guidance, Resources and Tools
- CDC National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Long-term Care Facility COVID-19 Module
- Boosters and Beyond: Addressing Key Challenges – 30-minute webinar every Tuesday at 12 noon ET with a live replay every Wednesday at 3 pm ET
- IP3: Infection Prevention by Infection Preventionists for Infection Preventionists – 30-minute officer hours every Thursday at 11 am ET
- Vax Chat – 15 minute office hours every other Thursday morning at 7:45 am ET
- IP3 Facebook Group – offering resources, moderated discussions, and more at your convenience
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us toll-free at 888-502-0566.